Which Food Is Most Likely to Promote Dental Caries? We researched the question for you. The main cause of dental caries is the bacteria which are present in the mouth. Foodstuffs which are high in sugar and acid will definitely enhance the growth of dental caries in children and adults alike. It is not difficult to understand that a lot of parents would certainly go for sugary foods, which are available at almost every nook and corner. These foods will only harm the teeth rather than caring for them. Hence, the first question which comes to mind is what food is most likely to promote dental caries? Let us take a look at the list of foods which are strongly suspected to cause this disease.
Food and Dental Caries
- Milk products: These are the sweets which are most likely to cause dental caries. The reason behind this is that milk contains a high proportion of calcium, which is an important factor for healthy teeth. It is advisable to avoid consuming too much milk products. However, if you need to consume them very often, then you can keep it in moderation.
- Curds and butter: These foods contain a high amount of lactic acid. This acid is converted into carbon dioxide by the presence of sugar. Therefore, if a person eats a lot of curds or butters, he/she will have a problem with excess production of carbon dioxide and will probably suffer from cavities. However, this condition can be prevented by using sugar alternatives
- High percentage of refined sugar: These foods include white breads, rice cakes, and white rice. It is advisable to choose brown rice as the healthier option. This is because the presence of high sugar percentage will convert into fat in the body. Therefore, it is highly suggested to limit the intake of white bread, white rice and anything made of flour or white flour.
- Garlic: Garlic is considered to be good for dental health. Therefore, eating garlic regularly will be beneficial to your oral health. But, it should be given in small proportions only and it is highly suggested to use garlic in small quantities while having meals. If a diabetic person consumes large amounts of garlic regularly, there are chances that it may increase the level of cholesterol in the blood and may result in several complications.
- Caffeine: It is believed that caffeine is one of the main reasons for developing dental caries. There are many diabetics who are affected by this condition. In such cases, they should avoid consuming tea, coffee, chocolate drinks. It is highly recommended to drink tea, coffee and chocolate in limited quantities as they are most likely to promote dental caries.
- Processed Foods: Processed foods are not at all good for oral health. There are high concentrations of various toxic elements which may lead to bacterial infection and increase the risk of developing dental caries. It is recommended to avoid consuming such processed food items at any cost. Junk foods, instant noodles, pizzas, biscuits and pickles are examples of such junk foods. Apart from that, it is highly suggested to consume raw and uncooked vegetables and fruits at any cost.
- Sugar Free Food: It is highly advised to avoid sugar-rich food at any cost. This includes, pastries, sweets, cakes, candies, ice creams, butter, fruit juices etc. This is because they are rich in fattening agents which may result in corrosion of teeth and increase the risk of developing dental caries. In addition to this, excess intake of sugary food can also result in excessive secretion of saliva, which may lead to accumulation of tartar, which is one of the main causes of bacterial infection in the mouth. Hence, it is important to strictly limit the consumption of sugar-rich food items.