If you’ve ever seen someone with thick yellow or white chalkboard stains on their teeth then you may have heard of the popular dental product called PeriPex. The makers of this cosmetic dental product claim that it is safe and effective for the treatment of discolored or yellowish teeth. What is PeriPex? PeriPex is a synthetic germicidal mouth rinse that limits bacteria in the mouth to a harmless level. PeriPex is mainly used to treat periodontitis (yellow gums), gingivitis (gingivitis), and periodontitis (fungal plaque) of the deep gum line.
There are several potential dangers of using this type of oral rinse. For example, some patients who have suffered from periodontitis have experienced serious complications such as bone loss due to the application of the peridex product and tooth loss over time. Using the oral rinse in conjunction with other oral treatments, such as gels or dentures, may also result in tooth loss.
Should you miss a dose of the peridex product, don’t worry, peridex will make up for the missed dose. Usually this will take between two to three weeks depending on the severity of the case. Should you experience any negative side effects or any pain after you miss a dose don’t hesitate to contact your dentist immediately. This is especially important if you’re using the peridex in combination with an antibiotic. Antibacterial medicine can kill the beneficial bacteria that are in your mouth which is vital to proper dental health.
How does peridex work? Peridex works by inhibiting plaque from building up in the teeth. The main action of the product is to prevent the production of bacteria in the mouth which is the primary cause of gingivitis, or gum disease. If your gums are sensitive, you may experience soreness and redness after you complete your first application of the peridex or during the course of your first use of the product. If you experience these symptoms, speak to your dentist right away.
As an over the counter treatment, the peridex should be applied once daily to the affected area. Be sure to read the included instructions carefully because each application needs to be administered carefully to avoid any complications. If you experience an allergic reaction, discontinue use and contact your dentist right away. You may also experience redness, swelling or bleeding gums if you use the peridex too often or for a longer period than recommended, so consult your dentist before starting a maintenance routine with the peridex.
Some of the side effects of the peridex are rashes, tightness or soreness around the lips, face, or tongue, hot flashes, severe skin rash, diarrhea, constipation, heartburn, vomiting, and stomach pain. These symptoms can occur in anyone, even if they do not have any serious allergic reaction to the peridex product. If you experience any of these symptoms after using the peridex for three weeks or longer, talk to your doctor about the possible diagnosis of a more serious allergic reaction. Although it is generally safe to use the peridex, it is important to use it correctly and not to overuse the product.